Friday, November 7, 2008

God at the center

Since I was a little boy in Sunday school coloring in Bible characters I have been subjected to the cliche' words of Christianity. Anyone who has spent any time in the culture knows what I am talking about. I know they all (most) have validity and are known to be Biblical truths. The problem with cliches is that when repeated so many times to young minds, that do not comprehend the real meaning, they lose power and the purpose is lost. As I have aged I have tried to understand and comprehend the last 24 years of Christian cliches, some successful and some not. One that I have come to understand in the last few months is an answer to much prayer and an answer to many questions.
Ang and I have been married for almost two and a half years already. The first few years are supposed to be the most difficult for a married couple and like I have said before if this is true, the rest of the years must be unfathomably great. Yet, we realized a few months ago that although we are great together we were still separate in a few aspects of our lives. The cliche' "two shall become one" kept coming into my mind. What does that mean? How do two people created by God to be different become one in His eyes. I prayed about it, sought counsel and then it hit me. Its me. Its my responsibility to seek her heart on a level no one else has. It is my duty as a husband to force our faith to be one. It is uncomfortable and it is awkward at first, just like everything else in marriage, but when a husband steps up to the plate and takes responsibility God will bless the relationship and make you power through any discomfort. Since Ang and I discussed this we have grown more than I ever imagined was possible. I am still learning to lead and she is being very patient with me all the while loving me in the most respectful way. I really believe God is beginning to view us as one.
For any husbands reading this who have not experienced this, it falls on you. You are the leader of the relationship and it is your responsibility to make this happen. Your wife wants you to lead even when it seems she doesn't. She will respect you for stepping up to the plate. You will fail at it and she will be there to pick you back up. Granted my wife is the most amazing woman in world and because she is I can be more vulnerable and be more transparent knowing she is going to love me anyway. It takes lowering yourself, eliminating your pride and showing your wife that God is your guide. Once you do that He will be the center of the relationship and the two will become one. Cliche' or not, it is the most amazing feeling I have ever experienced.
I know I am rambling but I can hardly contain my excitement at the way God has blessed us and our relationship. Don't get me wrong, though. I/we have soooo much more to learn. Trials will come and I will fail as a leader and husband. God is teaching me to be a leader of our family and teaching Angela to be a great wife (she needs little instruction) and that is the source of my joy. I don't have it all figured out and never will. But God has blessed us and I hope He does the same for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment