Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Mommy Date

One of my favorite adult authors, Karen Kingsbury, wrote a children's book entitled "Lets Go On a Mommy Date." I was so happy when we got this book from the library this summer. It is one of my new favorites, as well as Miles's. Throughout the summer I kept meaning to take Miles V on a Mommy Date. Things kept coming up, and we never got to do it. Sunday night I was really missing my one-on-one time with my oldest, so Miles and I decided to do it on Monday. We've also been wanting to take him to the movies, but weren't sure how Max would do. So I decided to combine the movies with a Mommy Date.

Let me tell you, in Miles's 2.5 years I have NEVER seen him more excited about anything before. We were running errands earlier in the day on Monday, and he lunged at me and gave me the biggest hug when I told him about the date. I told him he could pick anywhere to go for dinner, and of course, he chose McDonalds. :) The kid loves his chicken nuggets!

So he and I left around 5 for our date, and headed out to McDonalds. We shared chicken nuggets and fries, and then he got to play at the Playland for half an hour or so. He had a blast! On the way to the movies I let him get a shake, and he chose strawberry. The ride to the movies was silent as he enjoyed his shake.

We went to the cheap theater that plays older movies because I honestly didn't know how he would do sitting though a whole movie. He didn't know the difference! I told him that he could sit on my lap, and he said "Mommy, I want my own seat." So there he sat, barely able to see over the seat in front of him. I got him popcorn, and we settled in for the movie. Cars 2. About 5 minutes into it, he reached over, grinned at me, and grabbed my hand. Let me tell you, that boy will be a heart breaker someday!

Well, he did end up on my lap, he managed to eat almost half of a medium popcorn, and he absolutely LOVED the movie. He did get antsy, but out of the zillion kids there that night, he was the quietest, most attentive. I will cherish memories of that night forever. I remember my first movie; my dad took me to see Lady and the Tramp when I was about Miles's age. I hope that my little man remembers his first movie too.

And so, the Mommy Date was born. This will be a tradition for years to come with all the kids. What a joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment